guix-devel

Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 13:58:25 -0500

On 08/11/14 09:22, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Felipe López <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Done. The SVG is in the repository now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Commit 99ae9ce does preliminary integration.  I tested it on VMs as well
> as raw hardware, and it works well.  :-)
>
> There are a couple of shortcomings:
>
>   1. I didn’t know how to get the screen’s aspect ratio so that grub.cfg
>      would load the right image.  Any ideas?

I thought that maybe you could access a platform-specific default
resolution from a helper script using the GRUB helper library
(grub-mkconfig) and then set the background image with an appropriate
aspect ratio. [1] But I haven't written any script for GRUB before, so I
don't know.

>   2. ‘set color_normal’ and similar only allow the use of color names
>      (see color.c in GRUB), so I wasn’t able to specify the right colors
>      for the menu items and border.

You can use these values:

color_normal=light-gray/black
color_highlight=cyan/black

I tried them in this computer and they are pretty much the same colors I
used in the mock-up.

>      Apparently there’s a CSS-like theme format.  Would you be able to
>      come up with the right incantation?

I'll try to provide a GRUB theme [2] when I read a bit more about how
they work. So, maybe not for Guix 0.8.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#gfxmode
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Theme-file-format

--