guix-devel

Re: new packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: new packages
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:52:17 +0100

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

> I just compiled hexchat, my favorite IRC client (a fork of XChat) and
> claws-mail, my favorite mail client (a fork of Sylpheed), so I could
> send the first recipe :).
>
> I don't really know where they should go (maybe mail.scm?), so I send
> them as scheme files. Do whatever you want with them.

Actually, could you send them as patches (one per package preferably),
like you did for Openbox?  :-)  That is easier to deal with.

mail.scm sounds like a good place for Claws-mail, and I think Hexchat
should go to messaging.scm.

Some comments inline:

>   #:use-module (gnu packages python)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages xml))
> ;; Note: could be great to add enchant

Leftover comment?

>     (synopsis "IRC Client")

Rather “Graphical IRC client”.

>     (description
>      "HexChat is an IRC client based on XChat, but unlike XChat it is
> completely
> free for both Windows and Unix-like systems. Since XChat is opensource, it is
> perfectly legal.")

Everything in the distro is free software and “perfectly legal”, so no
need to mention it.  Could you instead just write a couple sentences
about what it technically looks like?

>     (home-page "http://hexchat.net/";)
>     (license gpl2)))

AFAICS, source files carry the “or any later version” clause, so it
should be ‘gpl2+’.

>              (uri (string-append "https://github.com/dinhviethoa/"; name
> "/archive/" version ".tar.gz"))

<https://github.com/dinhviethoa/libetpan-1.6.tar.gz> is 404.

Please wrap to 80 chars.

>     (synopsis "A portable middleware for email access")

Remove “A”, and address other complaints ‘guix lint libetpan’ may have.

>     (license (license:fsf-free
> "http://raw.githubusercontent.com/dinhviethoa/libetpan/master/COPYRIGHT";))))

This file reads:

Copyright (C) 2001 - 2005 - DINH Viet Hoa
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of the libEtPan! project nor the names of its
   contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
   from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHORS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGE.

This project contains code from sendmail, NetBSD,
RSA Data Security MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm, Cyrus IMAP.

This file is BSD-3 with small wording changes.  So I think the ‘license’
field should be: (bsd-style "file://COPYING"), with the previous
sentence as a comment.

>     (synopsis "The Email client that bites!")

Rather something like “GTK-based graphical e-mail client”.

>     (description
>      "Claws-Mail is an email client (and news reader) based on GTK+, featuring
> Quick Response
> Graceful, and sophisticated interface
> Easy configuration, intuitive operation
> Abundant features
> Extensibility
> Robustness and stability
>
> The appearance and interface are disgned to be familiar to new users coming
> from
> other popular email clients, as well as experienced users. Almost all commands
> are accessible with the keyboard.
>
> The messages are managed in the standard MH format, which features fast access
> and data security. You'll be able to import your emails from almost any other
> email client, and export them just as easily.
>
> Lots of extra functionality, like an RSS aggregator, calendar, on laptop LED
> handling, are provided by extra plugins.")

The item list will not render well in user interfaces.  Also, could you
try to shorten it a bit?

Thanks!

Ludo’.