guix-devel

Re: New importer for GNU packages

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: New importer for GNU packages
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:00:57 +0100

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:25:30PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, the Directory is intended to have that
> information (and plenty of other things too), although I don't doubt
> that plenty of updates are needed.  In the interests of not maintaining
> the same thing in multiple places, I have never wanted to set up a
> separate place for it.

Is it sufficiently machine readable so that one could extract the information
automatically? In any case, I do not think this is a blocker: Creating recipes
for the GNU packages is essentially a one-time effort. And given the GNU
standards, these are usually the simplest one to create.

Out of curiosity, I made a rough count (using grep on ftp.gnu.org etc.,
so the numbers may be a bit off):
Out of the ~303 packages in ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu, wee currently have
~169 in Guix.

Andreas