guix-devel

Re: Containers on Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Containers on Guix
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:31:26 +0100

Ian Denhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm sure there are other things already packaged that don't really have
> any hope of working on top of another kernel.

I think packages that are Linux-specific by design are all in (gnu
packages linux).

> This is going to be hard to do portably, but I don't think it's worth
> worrying about too much yet.

Yes, agreed.

> Probably some work will have to happen upstream on the Hurd project.

The Hurd supports fine-grain virtualization, so it wouldn’t be hard to
do (“sub-hurds” correspond to completely isolated containers, launching
a separate ‘proc’ server gives you a separate PID name space, etc.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.