guix-devel

Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:49:00 +0300

Adam Pribyl (2014-11-22 01:28 +0300) wrote:

> I have folloed the instruction in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Emacs-Interface
> to get the emacs interface for guix, but there is something missing
> probably.
>
> Installation of emacs and geiser was OK, I changed the path to guix.el
> (there is no /usr/share/ in my guix installation, I had to find guix.el
> in the /gnu/store), after that I can start emacs and "M-x guix-..." but
> every action says "Cannot open load file: no such file or directory
> geiser-mode".

If you mean you did (add-to-list 'load-path "/gnu/store/..."), then it's
definitely not right.

> There should probably be also the geiser path in the emacs init file or
> something?

I assume you use a Guix (or GNU or whatever it should be called)
system.  I must admit I have not tried it yet, and all I know about
setting "guix.el" there I learnt from a chat with davexunit on #guix
today.

So I think the following should be added to your emacs config:

- Add dirs with "guix.el" and "geiser" to load-path (I'm absolutely
  not sure about the correctness of the paths, so double check please):

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/run/current-system/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/")
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp")

- Initial setup of geiser:

  (require 'geiser-install)

- Initial setup of guix:

  (require 'guix-init)