guix-devel

Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:58:39 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-24 23:42 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> No need to fiddle with ‘geiser-scheme-dir’: it should be set properly if
>> you have ‘(require 'geiser-install)’ in your emacs config.
>
> Oops, indeed, PEBKAC: I was just unaware of ‘geiser-install’, and
> everything was fine when I used Geiser from ELPA because that happens
> automagically.

Yes, that's the point: if you install Emacs packages using the Emacs
package system, everything should work out of the box.  If a package is
installed manually or with some distro's package manager, a user needs
to figure out what he should put in his config to "complete" the
installation.

> It would be nice if guix.el somehow had that works-out-of-the-box
> property when installing Emacs extensions.  :-)

As I wrote at
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-08/msg00165.html>, I
see the only way to achieve that:

- to modify emacs package recipes so that they will provide some files
  with all required initial configuration (and to name such file
  "…-autoloads.el", for example);

- to modify “guix-init.el” so that (require 'guix-init) will load those
  autoloads files;

- to write some elisp code for auto-loading "…-autoloads.el" on the fly
  — i.e., to make it possible to install an Emacs package using
  "guix.el" and to use "M-x <package-command>" immediately.

So if it's acceptable, what about modifying the current recipes
step-by-step.  With geiser it's easy: as "geiser-install.el" provides
all required setup (including autoloads for "M-x …" commands),
"geiser-autoloads.el" may just be a symlink to "geiser-install.el".  I'm
attaching the patch for that.

I'm going to send patch(es) for the elisp code later.