guix-devel

Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:38:05 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-26 19:23 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> As I wrote at
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-08/msg00165.html>, I
>> see the only way to achieve that:
>>
>> - to modify emacs package recipes so that they will provide some files
>>   with all required initial configuration (and to name such file
>>   "…-autoloads.el", for example);
>
> ‘FOO-autoloads.el’ is the most common convention, right?

I think there is no any convention on this, but emacs package system
generates “foo-autoloads.el” indeed.

>> - to modify “guix-init.el” so that (require 'guix-init) will load those
>>   autoloads files;
>>
>> - to write some elisp code for auto-loading "…-autoloads.el" on the fly
>>   — i.e., to make it possible to install an Emacs package using
>>   "guix.el" and to use "M-x <package-command>" immediately.
>
> Yep, that sounds good.
>
>> So if it's acceptable, what about modifying the current recipes
>> step-by-step.  With geiser it's easy: as "geiser-install.el" provides
>> all required setup (including autoloads for "M-x …" commands),
>> "geiser-autoloads.el" may just be a symlink to "geiser-install.el".  I'm
>> attaching the patch for that.
>
> Yes.
>
>> +    (arguments
>> +     '(#:phases (alist-cons-after
>> +                 'install 'post-install
>> +                 (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
>> +                   (symlink "geiser-install.el"
>> +                            (string-append (assoc-ref outputs "out")
>> +                                           "/share/emacs/site-lisp/"
>> +                                           "geiser-autoloads.el")))
>> +                 %standard-phases)))
>
> This particular instance won’t work because it’s called from
> $top_builddir.

Sorry I didn't understand why it wouldn't work.  I tried it and it worked
as I expected: a proper "geiser-autoloads.el" symlink was created.

> Actually, since it’s going to be used in most packages, what about
> adding an ‘install-autoloads’ procedure in (guix build emacs-utils)?
> So the above would become
>
>   (alist-cons-after
>    'install 'post-install
>    (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
>      (install-autoloads (assoc-ref outputs "out")))
>    %standard-phases)

OK.

> Or better yet, (guix build emacs-utils) could provide
> %standard-emacs-phases.
>
> WDYT?

The problem is that I don't understand what these %standard-emacs-phases
should be, that's why I wanted to do it step-by-step.  I don't see
general patterns right now.  Some packages would require just making a
link as with geiser, other packages require generating autoloads and
maybe some others require additional steps.  What about making
"wip-emacs-packages" branch and to put the appropriate changes there for
now?

--
Alex