guix-devel

Re: Installing the system from another distro

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Installing the system from another distro
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:06:46 +0100

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-25 17:48 +0300) wrote:

[...]

>> Note that you’ll also need to pass --root= and --system= on the kernel
>> command line (see the ‘operating-system-grub.cfg’ procedure.)
>
> And --load= too :-)

Oops.  I wanted to make sure you would find by yourself.  ;-)

>> As you see, passing --no-grub is not an optimized use case.  :-)
>
> Thanks for the pointers!  You helped to figure it out.  And the system
> is awesome!!  The only big issue I've noticed so far is: the screen
> resolution was 800x600 for me and xrandr didn't give any other option.
> "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" told me that the module for my videocard ("sis")
> wasn't loaded.  I looked at (gnu services xorg) and found that not all
> available "xf86-video-…" modules are placed at "xserver.conf".  Is there
> a reason for that?

No reason!  Please do add it.

> Hm, perhaps I just need to install "xf86-video-sis" package (I should
> have tried it before asking).

X would not find it; it really needed to be listed in the search path in
xorg.conf.

> Also I have a question.  I usually add some custom lines to "xorg.conf".
> I suppose currently there is no other way to do it but to make my own
> xorg (slim) service.  Right?

Actually it’s ‘xorg-start-command’ that creates xorg.conf.

The best thing would be to add a parameter to that function to allow
arbitrary text to be appended.  (Well, not just text, but a list of
strings and possibly packages; the ‘xserver.conf’ procedure would do
(apply text-file* "xserver.conf" ... user-text).)

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.