guix-devel

Re: Few notes to 0.8

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Few notes to 0.8
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:31:52 +0100

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have now, with the help of people from this list, running
> installation, with more or less complete config.scm. Guix gets better
> with every version.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, as usual!

> 1. even thou networking and lsh-service are configured, networking
> does not start, "deco status networking" prints it is running and is
> e.g. PID 186, but there is no such process... weird as it should
> respawn.

Are you using ‘dhcp-client-service’?  What does
‘ps aux | grep dhc’ show?

> 2. during boot the system twice sets the console font, each time to a
> different one (this is not always reproducible). Minor.

Hmm, you mean on the same tty?

> 3. fstab is not "used", I am not sure how to mount additional file
> systems and swap.

Right.  I used the ‘mount’ command, and I would use ‘swapon’, but yes,
it would be useful to be able to populate /etc/fstab so one can easily
mount a pre-defined file system.

> 4. I do not have e.g. /root/.guix-profile/sbin in PATH by default, not
> sure why.

I see, that’s because ‘root’ is not created with ‘useradd’, so it does
not get .bashrc from the Shadow skeletons.

> 5. still strugglig in how to install a package for global use,
> probably only thru a "guix system reconfigure" otherwise every user
> has to do a "guix package -i" to get the app into his profile.

To install a package for global use, just add it to the ‘packages’ field
of ‘operating-system’, and run ‘guix system reconfigure’.

I find it more convenient to have most packages managed in my user
account.

> 6. I am still not able to add any service myself,

You mean to add a service definition?

> if there is at least something like rc.local available, it would be
> fine to have a last resort to start anything upon boot.

Yeah I’m not sure exactly how to do it.  I think the priority should be
to make the “regular” service mechanism be more usable for non experts.

> 7. Not sure how to properly add a user (again guix system reconfigure
> would help), as useradd makes the usuall unix user, but is missing
> some other things like a build directory...

Yes, the ‘users’ field, and then run ‘reconfigure’.

‘useradd’ should work as well, but user accounts created that way are
not under Guix control.

What do you mean by “build directory” here?

Thanks,
Ludo’.