guix-devel

Re: use zsh as login shell

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: use zsh as login shell
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 13:57:54 +0100

宋文武 <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 宋文武 <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> So, instead of what you suggest, what about having:
>>
>>   1. /etc/profile and /etc/zlogin (?) both source /etc/environment,
>>      which uses plain Bourne syntax.
>>
>>   2. PATH is defined in /etc/environment and includes
>>      ~/.guix-profile/bin.
> /etc/environment is defined by pam_env to be a simple KEY=VAL file, with no
> support for varibales substitute. If we do not use pam_env (linux specified?),
> I think we should let /etc/zlogin source /etc/profile instead.

Yes, but they would contain almost the same lines, right?  To what
extent is zsh Bourne- or Bash-compatible?  Does ‘export foo=bar’ work
for zsh?

If it does, let’s just keep /etc/profile, and use it for both zsh and
Bash.

> And we don't want /etc/zlogin when not using zsh at all,
> IIUC while skeletons is configurable at the top os-expr, /etc/zlogin is
> not.

It’s OK to have a 2-KiB /etc/zlogin, even when one doesn’t use zsh.

>>   3. The skeleton for ~/.bash_profile sources /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc,
>>      and ~/.bashrc.
>>
>>   4. The definition of PS1 is moved from /etc/profile to /etc/bashrc.
>>
>>   5. The skeleton for ~/.bashrc sources /etc/bashrc.
> It seem too much, what I suggested is:
>     for login, su (pam_env): /etc/environment
>     for login shell:         ~/.bash_profile, ~/.zlogin
>     for interactive:         ~/.bashrc, ~/.zshrc
> skeletons only installed when needed :)

As a first step, what about always installing the skeletons?  Then we
can see whether/how to refine that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.