guix-devel

Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 18:15:07 +0100

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-27 01:41 +0300) wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> (define %standard-emacs-phases
>>>   (alist-cons-after
>>>    'install 'post-install
>>>    (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
>>>      (install-autoloads (assoc-ref outputs "out")))
>>>    %standard-phases))
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't get how it would work.  I realized that I don't
>> understand how there could be a generalized ‘install-autoloads’
>> procedure as it should do different things for different packages.

AFAIU the initialization of each package is already defined inside each
package by the author. The way emacs's packaging infrastructure works
goes along the lines (see (elisp) Packaging Basics):

* At installation:

  - Search every Lisp file in the content directory for autoload magic
    comments (*note Autoload::).  These autoload definitions are saved
    to a file named `NAME-autoloads.el' in the package's content
    directory.

  - Byte-compiles every Lisp file in the package.

  - Add the package's content directory to `load-path', and evaluates
    the autoload definitions in `NAME-autoloads.el'.

* At startup:

  - Emacs scans for a predefined directory for NAME-autoloads.el files
    and evaluates them ('package-initialize' function). We could maybe
    exploit 'after-init-hook' or something something similar.

Regards,
Fede