guix-devel

Re: Xorg video inside VirtualBox

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Xorg video inside VirtualBox
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:41:15 +0100

Hi, Paul!

Paul van der Walt <address@hidden> skribis:

> This compiles fine, using `guix system reconfigure /etc/myconfig.scm`,
> but when i reboot the VM, X seems to start alright, but with a garbled
> screen. <http://i.imgur.com/XT5n24X.png>
>
> I suspect that this is because it is loading the vesa driver and not
> the vboxvideo driver (according to /var/log/X.org.log it tries to load
> vboxvideo then falls back to vesa after failing -- it just says
> "Warning, couldn't load module vboxvideo").

Still, VirtualBox should be able to emulate that, no?

> My question is therefore: has anyone else managed to get X working
> inside a VirtualBox VM?

I’ve only tried QEMU.  See for instance
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-10/msg00024.html>
for hints on how to use it.

More importantly, I recently learned that VirtualBox now requires
non-free software to build, so that’s another reason to prefer QEMU.

Thanks for testing!

Ludo’.