guix-devel

Re: none

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: none
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 15:06:44 +0100

Tomas Cech <address@hidden> skribis:

> At Fri, 05 Dec 2014 00:04:23 +0100,

[...]

>> > 1] if you set device to partition (and not to disk) in your
>> > grub-configuration like this:
>> >
>> >  (bootloader (grub-configuration
>> >                (device "/dev/sda4")))
>>
>> Why would you want to use a partition and not a disk?  I didn’t know
>> this was even possible.
>
> Because this way I can separate Grub managed by Guix and Grub from my
> Gentoo. As I'm playing with that on my notebook I need for work, this
> way can reduce risks.
>
> I'm not sure how Guix installer can manipulate with grub.cfg and I'd
> like to always have some working system...

Another option for you would be to add a ‘menu-entry’ to the
‘grub-configuration’ form that would boot the other distro.

  (grub-configuration
    (device ...)
    (menu-entries
      (list (menu-entry
              (label "Good ol' distro")
              (linux "/path/to/kernel”)
              (linux-arguments '("whatever"))
              (initrd "/path/to/initrd")))))

> After some more mails with help-grub ML It seems that Grub can do even better
> -
> it can load core.img right from Guix's filesystem or just read new
> configuration (multiboot, resp. config - both shown here
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Multi_002dboot-manual-config
> )... But these are just Grub chainloading Grub solutions...
>
> From Guix perspective I don't think it is possible to do it
> automatically. I think you can consider installation of Grub to
> partiotion as something just for advanced users. With that in mind I
> believe guix should refuse (with some warning) installing grub that
> way. Advanced users can use `--no-grub' option which will prevent guix
> from fail and do manually anything they desire. And in the
> documentation I'd give some short notice about that with link to Grub
> manual. IMHO information that "only ZFS and BtrFS can embed core.img
> into boot sector" belongs there.

OK, thanks for the info.  I’m tempted to think the GRUB manual should be
the primary source for this sort of things.

Thanks,
Ludo’.