guix-devel

Re: gobject-introspection typelibs and shared libraries

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: gobject-introspection typelibs and shared libraries
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:51:17 +0100

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Federico Beffa <address@hidden> wrote:
> Actually, I see that this part of gobject-introspection was slightly
> edited from our version 1.38.0 to later ones. Nix uses 1.40.0 and the
> newest is 1.42.0. So I'm planning to upgrade to the latest.

The patch applies and build succeeds for 1.40.0 and 1.42.0. However,
some test fail. Nix disables the test phase. Are you OK disabling the
tests and going with 1.42.0.

(I've tried to apply a similar patch to our current version 1.38.0,
but with only the change copied from the patch I posted the build
phase fails.)

>> Do we also need to do something for GI_TYPELIB_PATH?  Perhaps this
>> should be in the ‘native-search-paths’ field of gobject-introspection?
>
> I think that we do not need to set GI_TYPELIB_PATH in
> gobject-introspection, but in in the packages making use of it.

I've run the tests with and without

    (native-search-paths
     (list (search-path-specification
            (variable "GI_TYPELIB_PATH")
            (directories '("lib/girepository-1.0")))))
    (search-paths native-search-paths)

(and with/without (search-path ...), but it makes no difference.  This
probably due to the fact that there is no lib/girepository-1.0
directory in the source tree and the tests are run before
installation. I therefore think that this is not needed here.  It will
be needed with packages making use of gobject-introspection or other
libraries providing typelib files.

Regards,
Fede