guix-devel

Re: [Nix-dev] Avoiding threads in the daemon

From: Luca Bruno
Subject: Re: [Nix-dev] Avoiding threads in the daemon
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 22:36:41 +0100

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

Hmm, I’m not convinced about the whole threads-for-convenience approach
à la Java.  (I think the ideal is a single-threaded event loop; of
course we want to avoid IoC, and this is where FRP or monads come in.)

It is instead for this case. It's not that you have to handle thousands of connections. Threads simplify a lot compared to an event loop in C/C++. Don't be fooled by the trends, it doesn't apply here.