guix-devel

Re: New year, new name!

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: New year, new name!
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 11:35:52 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Hi, Guix!

As you know, we’ve been having this lengthy discussion about what to
call the Guix-based standalone distro.  RMS and others have argued that
we can’t reasonably call it “the GNU system”, and many people have
proposed alternative names.

Long story short, I’m tempted to refer to the standalone distro as
“Guixotic”.  The name was proposed by RMS; it’s a play on words that
makes fun of criticisms that have depicted the GNU project as
“quixotic”.  And it has the advantage of starting with “Guix”.  (The
other name that I liked is “Geist”, which someone proposed on IRC, but
it lacks those traits.)

Well well, ok. I think this is good, as it caused a lot of confusion.

Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl