guix-devel

Re: New year, new name!

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: New year, new name!
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 16:30:14 +0100

Svetlana Tkachenko <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think it deserves such special status over projects such as gNewSense
>> because GuixDistro is much more under GNU's control than any of those
>> distros that are "GNUified" as an afterthought.
>
> I do not see any way gnu has more control here, other that guix folks
> are their own downstream. Those who liberate an existing a distro are
> also free to modify packages or packaging format at discretion, too..

When modifying another distro, we're somewhat bound to their package
manager, upstream package recipes, choice of init system, etc.

Substantial changes are always possible, but generally unwanted as far
as I can tell.  E.g. if Debian goes with systemd, so will gNewSense.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

In Guixotic, GNU has control over init system, package manager, package
recipes, etc., which is substantially more than the alternatives.

Taylan