guix-devel

Re: New year, new name!

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: New year, new name!
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 20:22:14 +0100

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:09:09AM -0500, Thompson, David wrote:
> I don't like "Guixotic" very much.

Me neither; it apparently refers to Don Quixote, who is generally considered
as a ridiculous person disconnected from the preoccupations of its time. The
main episode that comes to mind is that of the windmills; I do not think we
should leave the impression that Guix is fighting a fight that it is bound
to lose, and that moreover is ridiculous from the start.

> On a purely sonic level, I like the way "Geist" sounds more.

"Geist" (which is also unclear how to pronounce, with probably a different
"natural" pronunciation in each European language) is a German word meaning
"spirit" or "mind" in English; it does not seem very suitable for the
GNU distribution.

If there needs to be a separate name, I think we should spend more time
searching for a better one.

Andreas