guix-devel

Re: Trivial build system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Trivial build system
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:25:56 +0100

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> I could call "tar" myself, but then I would also need to copy
> first-subdirectory from gnu-build-system. So having a trivial-build-system
> consisting of the phases 'set-paths and 'unpack from gnu-build-system
> would be very useful, and also make packages that currently use the trivial
> system more easy to write. (I am taking font-dejavu as a model; we would
> not need to set PATH to include bzip2, call tar explicitly and chdir into
> the created directory).

Yeah, perhaps we need some sort of an intermediate between
trivial-build-system and gnu-build-system.

The idea is that trivial-build-system really does nothing (and it does
it well!).  And then, (guix build gnu-build-system) exports its phases,
so it’s always possible to reuse them, as David noted.

Ludo’.