guix-devel

Re: Large git repositories

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: Large git repositories
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:31:51 +0000

On Mon Jan 12 2015 at 11:03:48 PM Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to package the droid font family. It appears to be available
only via the android git at:
   https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/android-4.4.4_r2.0.1/data/fonts/
where
   https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git
defines the git repository.

This page contains a tgz download link:
   https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+archive/android-4.4.4_r2.0.1/data/fonts.tar.gz
Unfortunately, the file seems to be generated on the fly and have a
different hash value each time.

The git-reference method seems to clone all of the repository, which has
about 1.5 GB. I tried several methods by hand, such as
   git clone -b android-4.4.4_r2.0.1 https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git data/fonts
or
   git init; git fetch https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git android-4.4.4_r2.0.1
but all of them apparently download the full repository.

I also tried
   git archive --remote=https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git android-4.4.4_r2.0.1 data/fonts
but the git server apparently does not support this:
fatal: Operation not supported by protocol.
(and I am also not sure that the output would have a fixed hash).

Do you see any solution to this problem?

Google web fonts has droid font available in zip format via http [1],
not sure if the link is works across updates.

There is also the mercurial repository hosting all web fonts [2]. It's quite big 4,1G and AFAIK there is no “hg clone --depth=1”

[1] http://www.google.com/fonts#UsePlace:use/Collection:Droid+Sans:400,700|Droid+Sans+Mono|Droid+Serif:400,700,400italic,700italic

[2] https://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/source/checkout

Andreas