guix-devel

‘gcc’ vs. ‘cc’

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: ‘gcc’ vs. ‘cc’
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 11:40:30 +0100

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> * such a symlink would have spared much frustration to Mark (see
> earlier posts in this thread).

Again, there have been few cases where this has caused problems (on the
order of 10-20 packages out of 1000.)  I agree it’s better if we can
avoid these problems altogether, but it’s not a real threat either.  ;-)

What about doing this:

  1. Someone (Fede? :-)) opens a bug against GCC at
     <https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/> suggesting to install the ‘cc’
     link.

  2. In the next core-updates, we introduce (setenv "CC" "gcc"), as
     suggested by 宋文武, which is the least intrusive solution.  It
     will fix most uses I think, but not all (for instance, GLEW has
     “CC = cc” hard-coded in its Makefile, so it will still need
     patching; this is fine, IMO.)

WDYT?

Ludo’.