guix-devel

Re: wip-armhf branch ready for wider testing

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: wip-armhf branch ready for wider testing
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:16:51 -0500

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 08:09:42PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Congrats on all the progress made!
>
> These are good news indeed!
>
>> It would be nice to have a couple of build machines for this platform.
>> If anyone reading this wants to help, please let us know!
>
> On which kind of machines does this armhf run? Is it related to the output
> of "uname -m"?

Our armhf targets the same set of machines as Debian's armhf, namely the
ARMv7-A architecture with VFP3D16 coprocessor.  So 'uname -m' must
output "armv7l" or better, and I guess the processor "Features" as
reported by /proc/cpuinfo must include "vfpv3" and either "vfpd16"
or "vfpd32".

> I have a raspberry pi that identifies as "armv6l", and a seagate
> goflex that identifies as "armv5tel". I suppose both are too old to
> run armhf?

Right, they can't run armhf.  Also, a build slave should have 1 GB RAM
minimum (preferably 2) and reasonably well performing storage (i.e. SATA
not SD).  So, I think Beaglebone Black and other systems in that class
will not be sufficient.

I think we need ARM board(s) with performance comparable to the Novena.
The Novena itself would be a fine option, but I'm not willing to give
mine up for that task :)

      Mark