guix-devel

A couple roadblocks using guix

From: Omar Radwan
Subject: A couple roadblocks using guix
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:52:36 -0800

I'm trying to install guix on my laptop(finally got the thinkpenguin wifi card), after reading through the manual, I have everything setup, except there are a couple bumps on the road.

One of the things is that during system initialization, the (gnu system networking) module returns an error which reads "guix system: error: failed to load operating system file '/mnt/etc/config.scm': (misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for module" (gnu system networking)) #f)
and that kind of makes things really annoying to manually restart networking every reboot.

Another thing is that is sort of a problem is during a windowmaker X session, all my graphical applications(xterm, icecat, etc), are not listed in the application menu and are not runnable, and I would think it has something to do with user permissions, but an X session in root also doesn't let me run them.

The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come from Debian).

That last peeve is really just a missing feature, I do understand that it will take some time to implement and I'm not really demanding it, just extremely recommending it. But the first 2 are definitely problems that I really hope someone could help me with.