guix-devel

Re: Guix != GNU GSD ==> True

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: Guix != GNU GSD ==> True
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:45:55 +1100

Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
> I suspect that the more "branding" we give to GSD, the more it will
> cause people to see it as "yet another Linux distro" and not understand
> that it's a distribution of GNU.
>
> [...]
>
> We really need a break from, or almost a fight against, this whole
> "distro" culture, which is tied to the "Linux" mindset, and perhaps even
> "open source".

This problem only comes from "Linux distro" phrase. Running a separate "GuixSD"
website does not raise this problem.

However, I see many Linux users perceive a distro by what it ships with by
default and judge exclusively based on that. In my view this concept needs to
be disposed of in favour of them understanding what and how it packages. For
the users to know the package manager well, I would expect it to be reasonable
to keep the guix package manager and guixSD on a single website, with a single
logo, and a single space for documentation (in 1 or 2 files, does not matter).

Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
> I wish projects such as gNewSense and Parabola had done the same and
> gotten direct links to their installation images on a page such as
> <https://www.gnu.org/download/>, where they're simply listed as "models"
> or "versions" of GNU, with names like "parabola" and "trisquel" only
> serving as code-names or "model" names, perhaps analogous to Astra and
> Vectra (from Opel) to make a good old car analogy.

To add direct image download links to
https://gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html, ask address@hidden . I would expect
that these distros would however remain hosted elsewhere and would not
automatically become a part of the GNU project itself.

--
Svetlana Tkachenko