guix-devel

Re: texlive failure

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: texlive failure
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 15:09:13 +0100

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 08:46:42AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> I wonder if we should consider setting #:substitutable? #f for texlive.
> However, we would have to be careful not to propagate this setting, as
> was recently proposed in the "Numpy failures" thread.

I have been working on a split of texlive into two private packages,
the binaries and the data (which unfortunately depends on the binaries),
and a public one that joins the two. We could then also have a
texlive-small with a smaller data portion.

With Ludovic we have been discussing numerous solutions over the last
week, but when implementing them, something always went wrong...
I think we now have a solution that works with wrapping all binaries,
and once some changes are made in core-updates to enable this for
symbolic links, it should be easy to implement. But before it works,
I am not giving guarantees any more...

Then a possible solution would be to substitute the binary package
(which requires CPU time), but not the data package (which requires almost
none).

Andreas