guix-devel

Re: Lack of locales in build environment

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Lack of locales in build environment
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:02:26 +0100

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 06:36:58PM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
     On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 6:13 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
     > Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:
     >
     >> Guile-ncurses was fixed by adding a new phase to generate the
     >> "en_US.UTF-8" locale during the generation of the package, but wouldn't
     >> it be better to keep the "en_US.UTF-8" locale? That appears to be the
     >> default used by most packages.
     >
     > That’s an open question.  The vast majority of packages is happy with
     > just the C locale, and some need something more.
     >
     > So far the approach has been to fix these one by one (that’s 4 packages
     > so far) but if it happens to be frequent enough or cumbersome, we can
     > change that in the next core-updates to have en_US.UTF-8 available by
     > default.

        (i) we already are at 7 (4+3) packages requiring an UTF-8 locale

Then that is a bug which should be filed against those pacakges.

     (ii) This is another small step in
     making maintenance easier by providing an environment setting that
     sometimes helps.

It sounds like a slippery slope.  If we shovel in everything into the defaults,
that might possibly help somebody do something, someday we'll end up with a very
bloated system.

The C locale is the canonical locale. UTF-8 is not the only characater encoding
in
the world.  English is not the only language in the world, and US English is not
the only dialect of English.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3