guix-devel

Re: Lack of locales in build environment

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Lack of locales in build environment
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 20:54:43 +0100

>     (i) we already are at 7 (4+3) packages requiring an UTF-8 locale
>
> Then that is a bug which should be filed against those pacakges.

I just discovered the problem with the "scipy ecosystem" packages
today and intended to fix them. But, before submitting changes, I wanted
to check with the ML.

If we decide to keep the status quo, then I will fix the
packages. Otherwise, if we introduce a default UTF-8 locale or implement
Andreas's suggestion, I will file a bug to avoid forgetting.

>      (ii) This is another small step in
>      making maintenance easier by providing an environment setting that
>      sometimes helps.
>
> It sounds like a slippery slope.  If we shovel in everything into the
> defaults,
> that might possibly help somebody do something, someday we'll end up with a
> very
> bloated system.

The C locale is really an ancient relict. I think adding a more
modern default locale to the build environment doesn't really bloat the
system.

> The C locale is the canonical locale. UTF-8 is not the only characater
> encoding in
> the world.  English is not the only language in the world, and US English is
> not
> the only dialect of English.

I'm not a native english speaker and I understand the problem very
well. In spite of this I do not know of any package providing
documentation in other languages than english. That's the reason for
suggesting a default locale of en_US.UTF-8 for the build systems.

Regards,
Fede