guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2

From: Felix Friedlander
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 07:39:50 +1100

> > Here is a revision of the last mockup for the website [1]. This time
> > aimed at a techie audience.
> >
> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/home-view-rev2.jpg
>
> I like this a lot better than the previous mockups (which would have
> been great for something targetted at a different audience).

I agree with you that the previous mockups were certainly for a different
audience. Personally, I believe the original mockups would be better, while
this one more honestly reflects the current state of the project. After 1.0 (or
whatever we are calling it when it becomes stable-er and easier to install) the
first websites would be much better.

> Just one comment: I know that the screenshots are just placeholders, but
> there is no GNOME in the system distribution, yet all but one of the
> screenshots show the GNOME Shell.

I had noticed this too - I believe the person who made them had built GNOME
him(or her)self, outside of the guix package system. As such they would be
better suited to the first set of websites, as by the time we release the full
version I hope there will be GNOME.

> I even wonder if screenshots are necessary at all or if it wouldn't be
> better to show some diagrams of e.g. how the store works instead.  The
> diagrams were used in the slides but they are not in the official docs,
> yet I found them immensely helpful in understanding the system.

Diagrams are necessary to understand the system, but not to use it. Possibly
better to keep them in the docs (assuming the docs will be available on the
website).

Felix Friedlander <address@hidden>