guix-devel

Re: Name service switch configuration

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Name service switch configuration
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 18:07:21 +0100

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Sounds great, except that it doesn't work for me :-(
>
> I've done as you recommended, and "avahi-browse -avr" successfully shows
> names of *.local hosts, but if I try to do name lookups on those names,
> they always fail.
>
> I've attached my OS configuration.  Any ideas?

Long story short: there was a bug fixed by 60a2d27.

I’ve tried your OS config in a VM.  Everything looks good: nsswitch.conf
is OK, and we can see that libnss_mdns.so is mapped into nscd’s address
space.

Yet looking up ‘jojen.local’ doesn’t work.  I added some nscd debugging
like this:

           (nscd-service
            (nscd-configuration (inherit %nscd-default-configuration)
                                (debug-level 10))
            #:name-services (list nss-mdns))

/var/log/nscd.log shows warns about missing /var/db/nscd directory and
/etc/resolv.conf, which I added (with “dhclient eth0” for the latter),
to no avail.

Then I notice that even my config, which works on the bare metal,
doesn’t work in the VM.  I strace nscd in the VM to notice that it tries
to connect to /run/avahi-daemon/socket, which doesn’t exist.  This is
where I realize that my real root partition has /var/run as a symlink to
/run, which is why I don’t have the problem.  Pheeww.

Can you confirm that it works now?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.