guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:34:51 -0500

El mié, 25-02-2015 a las 14:56 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> ¡Hola!

Salut Ludovic, Ça va? :)

[...]

> I have some more specific comments.
>
> There’s some informal wording that I dislike; for instance, I would:
>
>   - remove “We need skilled people”
>   - change “Know the system...” to “Discover GuixSD”
>   - change “Some screenshots...” to “Screenshots”
>   - change “We have some news...” to “News”
>   - change “Get in touch...” to “Contact” (?)
>   - change “The devs are working hard...” to “Latest Development News”.
>
> I would rather not have a Web interface to connect to the IRC channel.
> The technical audience we’re targeting may know how to do that anyway.

OK.

> Regarding the section at the bottom, I wonder whether/how it could be
> implemented in practice.  For instance, we’re not going to move to
> GitHub just for that, and I’d rather not call out to openhub.com or
> similar to get stats.  Yet, I’m not sure the cgit/gitweb instances at
> Savannah provide a JSON API to extract this kind of data.  What are your
> thoughts on this?
>
> Maybe the answer is that we’ll have to work with the Savannah hackers to
> add whatever service provides such an API to Savannah, and in the
> meantime live without that section.

I just thought that a JSON list of recent commits could be generated
with a script+libgit2 (somewhere, once a day) and then put the JSON file
in the website repository. But if that's expensive or just silly, I
don't see any problem in leaving that section out.

> One thing we need to decide is whether we keep the GuixSD web site
> separate from gnu.org/s/guix.  I tend to think that it should be
> separate (we can ask for guixsd.gnu.org), with the Guix web page mostly
> unchanged, but I’m slightly concerned about overlap and the risk of
> bitrot.  WDYT?

I think that GuixSD should have its own website (at guixsd.gnu.org) and
Guix should stay on gnu.org/s/guix.

I can see a lot of overlapping too, because at this time both websites
would target the same techie audience. But I think this overlapping
would be eventually reduced as the GuixSD website evolves to target
average users and the Guix page remains more closer to techies. (GuixSD
website would not focus on Guix, but would have enough, higher-level
information about using it.)

However, to avoid maintaining very similar websites at this time, maybe
the GuixSD website should wait until the distribution reaches a beta
status. In the meantime, I would try to implement the middle sections of
this mockup rev2 in the current Guix page, if people think that's OK.

> How can we make progress from here?  Would you be able to do the
> CSS/HTML implementation of the web site?  What else is needed?

I don't know if Pierre-Antoine Rault (rigelk) is still willing to take
on implementation :)

In any case, I've worked in "mockup-to-implementation" before¹, using
Web frameworks like Django² or static-site generators like complexity³.
I don't have any formal training, but I'm willing to help.

As for what else would be needed for GuixSD website,

- A GuixSD project in Savannah
    - CVS repository for website
    - git repository for website source
- A static-site generator