guix-devel

Re: Service activation snippets vs mounting filesystems

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Service activation snippets vs mounting filesystems
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:56:59 -0500

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:31:12PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Where is the right place to clean up /tmp and /var/run ?
>
> Would it be easier to do so when shutting the machine down?

My primary motivation for doing this is to ensure a clean startup if the
system crashes, power is lost, resume from suspend fails, etc, so
cleaning up during shutdown wouldn't help.  In practice, when my system
fails to shut down cleanly, many services fail to start, and I have to
manually clean up stale files in /var/run and /tmp, and then either
enable and start several dmd services, or reboot.

Anyway, even without adding this cleanup code, there's already a
problem: the service activations are performed when only the root
filesystem is mounted, thus implicitly assuming that all of the
files/directories created during those activations are on the root
partition.

     Mark