guix-devel

Re: GnuPG in Guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GnuPG in Guix
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:21:55 +0100

g33k0b0y . writes:

> It seems that Guix can install multiple versions of GPG. It names the
> 1.4.18 version as gpg, and the 2.0.26 version as gpg2.

[...]

> If I  am an inexperienced user and install gnupg, from my previous
> experience with other distros, (Trisquel, gNewSense) I would expect to
> use gpg to call it. Imagine my surprise when bash says command not
> found! I am never told to use gpg2 as the command, nor would I think
> of it.

On Fedora 21, /usr/bin/gpg2 is installed by the package for version
2.x.x (gnupg2-2.0.25-2) and /usr/bin/gpg is installed by the package for
version 1.x.x (gnupg-1.4.18-4).  I would not expect to use /usr/bin/gpg
when I installed gnupg2, because that only comes with /usr/bin/gpg2.

I happen to have both installed on my Fedora system.

I do not think that we should override upstream's decision to call these
executables by a different name.

~~ Ricardo