guix-devel

Re: Website implementation

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: Website implementation
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 17:01:58 -0500

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

> Regarding the Guilish tool(s) to generate the site statically, I have
> these to compare
>
>      - Artanis <http://www.gnu.org/s/artanis/> (GNU Project)

Artanis is intended for dynamic web applications, so I don't think it
would be particularly useful in this instance.

>      - Hyde <http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/hyde>

Maybe it's too much work, but it would be best to stick with Guile.  I
think the work on this project could be used to extract our own static
site generator for Guile.

>      - Skribilo <http://www.nongnu.org/skribilo/>

I haven't used Skribilo enough to know if it should be used for this
purpose.  Ludo?

>      - tylan's html simple <https://gitorious.org/taylan-guile/html/>

I also have an SXML -> HTML converter in guix-web. [0]

> I still need to get familiar with the fundamentals of Scheme/Guile to
> decide what tool to use. Personally, I'd like to find a way to write
> HTML templates and let a program build the final site. Template context
> and inheritance would be nice to have. Maybe this can be done with
> Artanis' template system?

Lisps have built-in templating via quasiqoute, so you can do any
transformations you'd like on the resulting s-expression.  SXML is a
popular way of writing XML/HTML templates in Lisp.  See guix-web for
examples. [1]

Does this help or have I just muddied the waters even more?

[0] https://gitorious.org/guix-web/guix-web/source/guix/web/sxml.scm
[1] https://gitorious.org/guix-web/guix-web/source/guix/web/view/html.scm#L74

--
David Thompson