guix-devel

Re: SLiM session types

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: SLiM session types
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 22:28:03 +0800

address@hidden writes:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 04:28:50PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>宋文武 <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> And currently ratposion and windowmaker are hardcoded,
>>> how about make sessions configurable?
>>> Like:
>>>     (define %default-sessions
>>>       `(("windowmaker" . #~(execl #$windowmaker "/bin/wmaker"))
>>>         ("ratposion" . #~(execl #$ratposion "/bin/ratposion"))))
>>>
>>>     (define* (slim-service #:key (sessions %default-sessions)
>>
>>I agree that something along these lines is needed.
>>
>>However, these session types are currently unused.  SLiM is supposed to
>>support session choice from the log-in screen, but for that, a
>>‘session_dir’ key needs to be added to slim.cfg (in xorg.scm).
>>
>>The ‘session_dir’ value should be the name of a directory containing
>>entries describing the various session types available, in a format that
>>SLiM understands.
>
> I'm not able to understand how the proposed solution should work and
> it's a bit unclear to me what is needed to do to add new session -
> enlightenment in my case.
>
> Is there reason, why xsession files should not be stored within
> profile? I can hardly imagine login manager with session selection to
> be anything else than system wide service and in that case path like
> /run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions sounds like proper place.
Hi, I just sent 2 patches to remove all the xsessions stuff in xorg.scm.
And use /run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions as sessiondir.

After this, one can get a xfce session by put 'xfce' in 'packages'.

While 'openbox' and 'sawfish' also provide xsession file, 'windowmaker'
and 'ratposion' not.  We can put 'exec ratposion' in ~/.xsession to
start it, or patch the package to install a xsession file to its
$out/share/xsessions if really needed.