guix-devel

Installing system with packages, sysconfig.scm syntax

From: 白い熊
Subject: Installing system with packages, sysconfig.scm syntax
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:14:08 +0100

I'm trying to understand the sysconfig.scm syntax to specify when clean
installing the system or running “guix system reconfigure”.

In the manual I've seen the example with Emacs. But I don't understand why
there's:

(use-modules (gnu)
             (gnu packages emacs)

and then in the operating-system section

(packages (cons emacs %base-packages))

Let's just say I want to reconfigure the system with packages emacs, mc,
xmodmap, and xterm installed for user joe. What do I put in the sysconfig.scm?
I've tried many combinations, but can't accomplish this simple task.

I understand I can install the system with a working sysconfig.scm and then
install the packages manually via “guix package -i” but I think they all can be
defined in sysconfig.scm, just can't figure out how, even though I'm trying to
get hints in the manual. Or am I wrong in this?

Also, when installing from the USB, after booting the USB, can I “guix pull”
and then install the system? Or do I have to first install, then boot it, then
“guix pull”, meaning I couldn't maybe put all package definitions in the
install sysconfig.scm, as the packages might not be available before “guix
pull”?

--
白い熊 @相撲道