guix-devel

Re: Gluglug X200 hangs on boot after `# guix system reconfigure /etc/sys

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Gluglug X200 hangs on boot after `# guix system reconfigure /etc/sysconfig.scm', right after starting dmd
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:55:09 +0100

"白い熊 @相撲道" <address@hidden> skribis:

> If sysconfig.scm contains:
>
> (use modules (gnu))
> (use-service-modules xorg networking dbus avahi)
> (use-package-modules avahi wicd)
> (services (cons* (slim-service)
>                  (dbus-service (list wicd))
>                  (dhcp-client-service)
>                  (avahi-service)
>                  %base-services))

[...]

> setting up setuid programs in '/run/setuid-programs'...
> making '/gnu/store/h5s1apxpmg8cgdwj9x3yzyxj8f6zizzr-system' the current
> system...
> [    2.915986] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
> Service dmd has been started.
> Assertion (null? (lookup-services (canonical-name new))) failed.

This is the problem: the configuration specifies two services providing
the same symbol, ‘networking.’  This causes a dmd error that is
gracelessly handled, at boot time.

The solution is twofold: first, keep either ‘dhcp-client-service’ or
‘wicd-service’ in the configuration, but not both.  That should solve
the problem.

Second, I’ll improve service handling so that such errors are reported
at configuration time.

dmd should also have improved error handling, though I’m not sure
exactly what it should do here.

Thanks for the detailed report!

Ludo’.