guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Introduction + question about dmd

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Introduction + question about dmd
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:47:15 +0100

Rohan Prinja <address@hidden> skribis:

> As suggested, I read through RFC 2131 and took notes. I also looked at
> lwIP's RFC 2131-compliant implementation of DHCP and I think I have a fair
> understanding of the DHCP protocol now. BTW, you didn't mention RFC 3315 -
> does this mean that the proposed DHCP client should support only DHCPv4 for
> now, with DHCPv6 being added in later?

I would consider DHCPv6 a bonus for this project, and DHCPv4 a
requirement.  But I’m open to discussions; what’s your take on this?

> Also, are you considering the implementation of the dmd event loop to be
> part of this project idea or outside of it? As you said, once the DHCP
> library is written, we could test its interop with dmd by calling its
> functions within the appropriate event handlers in the event loop. So the
> question is, do we incorporate the event loop into this project idea or let
> it run as a parallel project and then add the tests for the DHCP library
> once the event loop is done?

I consider the dmd event loop to be outside of this project.  However,
there’s a close relation with both things, so you’ll have to pay a lot
of attention to it.  Depending on how far you go, you may want to adjust
dmd to fit your needs.

> I'll start working on the first draft of my proposal now, and will make
> sure to incorporate your feedback as I update it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.