guix-devel

Re: Libreoffice building (sort of)

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Libreoffice building (sort of)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:34:02 -0400

白い熊@相撲道 <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-03-10 13:41, address@hidden wrote:
>> "白い熊 @相撲道" <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> wget
>>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/wip-libreoffice.tar.gz
>>> guix pull --url=file:///path/to/wip-libreoffice.tar.gz
>>> guix package -i libreoffice
>>>
>>> It's building now, apparently everything from source, so probably a
>>> long way to go...
>>>
>>> Let's see if it will put a unable libreoffice instance in the store...
>>
>> Please let us know how it goes.  If it builds and is usable, we should
>> merge it.
>
> Well it did build indeed! And now I have a working LibreOffice in the
> store. Tested briefly, works without a hitch so far.
>
> Unrelated, but maybe you could advise me as I'm just starting to study
> Guix deeply:
>
> Have I somehow "poluted" the environment via the pull of the
> wip-libreoffice tar?

What you've done is to roll back your Guix to the 4-month-old version of
Guix that the 'wip-libreoffice' branch was based on.

The proper way would be to use 'git' to rebase that branch on our
current master branch, and then use that.  "guix pull" can't do that.

> I'm asking this as I see a different behavior now
> with `guix package -d' and `-i' for other packages now than before,
> and a lot of building from source.

That's probably because Hydra has long ago deleted the binaries from 4
months ago.

     Mark