guix-devel

Re: Libreboot error: /boot/grub/i386-coreboot files not found

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Libreboot error: /boot/grub/i386-coreboot files not found
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:27:13 -0400

白い熊@相撲道 <address@hidden> writes:

> I've installed and am running GuixSD on the Gluglug X200.

Excellent!  I'm running GuixSD on a Gluglug X60 :)

> On boot, Libreboot comes up with its GRUB-like menu, where I select
> "Search for GRUB configuration on internal storage". It then finds the
> GuixSD partition with /boot/grub and you can boot it usinr "Load
> Config from (ahci0,msdosX)".
>
> This then however always reports:
>
> error: file `/boot/grub/i386-coreboot/vbe.mod' not found.
> error: file `/boot/grub/i386-coreboot/vga.mod' not found.
> error: file `/boot/grub/i386-coreboot/gfxterm.mod' not found.
> Press any key to continue...
>
> You can then hit a key and it continues normally, loads the GRUB menu
> and you can boot. So it's more of a nuisance than a crippling
> error. I'd like to get rid of it however.
>
> Of course, there is no i386-coreboot in /boot/grub/, however
> symlinking i386-pc to it, or copying the dir i386-pc to i386-coreboot,
> has no effect. The error still comes up.
>
> How can this be fixed?

The plan is to modify Guix to create a /boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg
(alongside grub.cfg) that omits everything except for the menu entries
and perhaps also the "set default=0" and "set timeout=1".

With /boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg in place, the default GRUB menu entry
in Libreboot will automatically boot GuixSD as long as it's located on
one of the first few partitions of the first disk.

On my own system, I simply made /boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg a symlink
to grub.cfg, and ignore the warnings :)

The place to fix this properly is in gnu/system/grub.scm and
gnu/system.scm.  I guess we should add a keyword argument to
'grub-configuration-file' that specifies whether or not to include
#$sugar in the output, and then modify system.scm to create both files.

For now, an easy hack for Libreboot users would be to simply remove the
line in 'grub-configuration-file' that reads "#$sugar", and to create
the /boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg --> grub.cfg symlink.

      Mark