guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: vlc: Update to 2.2.0

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: vlc: Update to 2.2.0
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 09:47:04 -0700 (PDT)

Ludovic Courtès said;
> Right.  The version has to be chosen carefully (should be a LTS
> version and one that is likely to remain on fsfla.org and/or that we
> mirror on alpha.gnu.org), plus we don’t want glibc’s requirement to
> be too high so people can use Guix on GNU/Linux with relatively old
> kernels.

If using an LTS version is desired, support for the 3.3 series ended
almost three years ago. The 3.4 series is supported until September
2016. I seem to recall a discussion about a separation of roles though
where, even though there may be some overlap, the intent of GSRC was
to be something people installed on an existing distro and that the
intent of Guix was to be completely independent and standalone. Given
that, how much effort do we want to put in to maintaining that
overlap? Anyway, Debian seems sufficently slow moving to me and so I
looked at that to get an idea of what might be acceptable. They have
3.5 in Wheezy and are jumping to 3.16 for Jessie which I understand is
due soon? Given that, what about using 3.14? It is much newer and
supported until August 2016 [0].

[0] https://kernel.org/category/releases.html