guix-devel

Re: [ART] Updated SLiM theme with GuixSD logo

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ART] Updated SLiM theme with GuixSD logo
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:47:21 +0100

白い熊@相撲道 <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 2015-03-14 15:03, address@hidden wrote:
>>> The new theme is elegant, however I'd like to use the Gnu one out of
>>> nostalgia. Where can I set it so SLiM shows the GNU logo instead?
>>
>> See the #:theme and #:theme-name options of ‘slim-service’.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Thanks for this. I've checked the options and understand theme-name
> gives the dir of the theme. However, I've checked the two dirs of slim
> I have installed in the store. One of them is the original one, which
> boots with the GNU, the other one is the current one with the GuixSD
> logo. However both only contain a `default' theme dir, plus none of
> these contain either the GNU or GuixSD background.
>
> So, SLiM must be getting them from somewhere else. But where? I ran a
> file search for common graphics types with names containing gnu, GNU,
> and uix, but found nothing. I must be missing something. Could you
> help me move further along?

The default theme and theme name of ‘slim-service’ are defined in (gnu
services xorg):

(define %default-slim-theme
  ;; Theme based on work by Felipe López.
  #~(string-append #$%artwork-repository "/slim"))

(define %default-slim-theme-name
  ;; This must be the name of the sub-directory in %DEFAULT-SLIM-THEME that
  ;; contains the actual theme files.
  "0.8")

The ‘artwork-repository’ variable here comes from (gnu artwork):

(define %artwork-repository
  (origin
    (method git-fetch)
    (uri (git-reference
          (url "git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix/guix-artwork.git")
          (commit "61ae7c8")))
    (sha256
     (base32
      "102fxk2l6b0ibry3n430q8ljhwrnbml9qgalzkz6v09r7sx6a532"))))

To use the “GNU” SLiM screen, you need to use an older revision of the
guix-artwork.git repository.  So, in your OS config file, you can write
something like this (untested):

(define %old-artwork
  (origin
    (method git-fetch)
    (uri (git-reference
          (url "git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix/guix-artwork.git")
          (commit "3236581")))  ;pre-GuixSD branding
    (sha256
     (base32
      "0ayg0693agck8zkcxfymph5ccc3y44cdf9i4y0qvxajhac8rkcaj"))))

(define %old-slim-theme
  #~(string-append #$%old-artwork "/slim"))

(define %old-slim-theme-name
  "0.8")

(operating-system
  ;; ...
  (services (cons (slim-service #:theme %old-slim-theme
                                #:theme-name %old-slim-theme-name)
                  ;; ...
                  )))

HTH!