guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] DHCP client

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GSoC] DHCP client
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:32:18 +0100

Hi Rémi,

Thanks for your proposal!

If you haven’t yet, please see my comments to Rohan’s proposal on the
same topic:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00319.html>.

Rémi Birot-Delrue <address@hidden> skribis:

> The client side of the DHCPv4 protocol will be implemented: more

Let’s design with the eventual DHCPv6 support in mind, and keep it as a
“bonus item” for this GSoC.

> The final software should be usable as a
> [[http://www.gnu.org/software/dmd/][dmd service]] and be part of
> the Guix Software Distribution.

Note that first, it should also be usable as a standalone command.
Second, it should be usable as a library, typically in a dmd service.

>  2. Write a battery of tests to check if it does what I want it
>     to do.

Although I did not mention it to Rohan, I think tests are definitely a
must (BTW, I think “battery of tests” is a Frenchism ;-)).  Now, do you
have an idea of the testing strategy?  One possibly would be to use a
“reference” DHCP server to talk to.

I encourage you to get started with Guile + Geiser (similar to SLIME),
and to look at the relevant APIs in Guile, notably for binary I/O.

Also make sure to visit #guix and #guile and let us know what you’re
up to!

Thanks,
Ludo’.