guix-devel

Re: reproducible builds and debugging information

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: reproducible builds and debugging information
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:24:14 -0400

> Tomáš Čech <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:24:22PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>>Tomáš Čech <address@hidden> skribis:

>>>I see what you mean, but again, that’s not how it works, and I would
>>>argue that it’s not desirable.

I think what Tomáš suggested above does not conflict with the design of
Nix and Guix.  As I understand it, he's suggesting that we have
'outputs' default to '("out" "debug") but then the debug outputs would
be immediately discarded for most packages.  This would save both disk
space and slave->hydra bandwidth.  Users could then get the debug
outputs by building the package locally.

I'm not necessarily advocating that we should do this, but wanted to
help facilitate communication.

       Mark