guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: Add gst-libav.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: Add gst-libav.
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:14:07 -0400

宋文武 <address@hidden> writes:

> commit 1b922590d758e458ce4f9abd3d1694045bcccb58
> Author: 宋文武 <address@hidden>
> Date:   Fri Apr 10 21:01:10 2015 +0800
>
>     gnu: Add gst-libav.
>
>     * gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm (gst-libav): New variable.

Can we add gst-ffmpeg and remove gst-libav?  It seems that ffmpeg has
won out in the ffmpeg/libav fork.

  https://lwn.net/Articles/607591/

Also, can we make it use the system ffmpeg library that we already have
instead of a bundled copy?  It would be good to avoid code duplication
for several reasons.  Code duplication means more memory use in the
system, and more importantly, it means multiple copies of the software
to patch when investigating and applying security updates or build fixes
for Guix, fixes for non-Intel platforms, etc.  As the person who seems
to be doing almost all of the work on non-Intel platforms and most of
the security updates, I'd strongly prefer to minimize that workload.

What do you think?

      Mark