guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: Add gst-libav.

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: Add gst-libav.
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 23:56:25 +0800

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> 宋文武 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> commit 1b922590d758e458ce4f9abd3d1694045bcccb58
>> Author: 宋文武 <address@hidden>
>> Date:   Fri Apr 10 21:01:10 2015 +0800
>>
>>     gnu: Add gst-libav.
>>
>>     * gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm (gst-libav): New variable.
>
> Can we add gst-ffmpeg and remove gst-libav?  It seems that ffmpeg has
> won out in the ffmpeg/libav fork.
It seems to me that GStreamer choose libav over ffmpeg when made the
1.0 release.  That is why there are:
  gst-ffmpeg-0.10.x
  gst-libav-1.x

>   https://lwn.net/Articles/607591/
>
> Also, can we make it use the system ffmpeg library that we already have
> instead of a bundled copy?  It would be good to avoid code duplication
> for several reasons.  Code duplication means more memory use in the
> system, and more importantly, it means multiple copies of the software
> to patch when investigating and applying security updates or build fixes
> for Guix, fixes for non-Intel platforms, etc.  As the person who seems
> to be doing almost all of the work on non-Intel platforms and most of
> the security updates, I'd strongly prefer to minimize that workload.
I Agree.

> What do you think?
I quick tested gst-libav linked with ffmpeg from Guix,
it does seem work fine, but may need more testing or some
confirm from upstream.

I think it's great to use system ffmpeg, if no problem occurs,
or we can use system libav (to be packaged) in Guix instead.