guix-devel

Re: Self-contained Guix tarball

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Self-contained Guix tarball
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:09:46 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 11:23:50PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> What do you meaning by moving a package with dependencies?
>
> I am thinking about Nix-style closures. But it may only confuse
> things. I don't think the Guix manual covers closures.

I think “Invoking guix archive” covers what you have in mind.  Maybe it
should be made more visible somehow?

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-archive.html

>> This part is the same as Nix.  The database is here to store meta-data
>> about store items, notably the list of references found in a store item.
>> Determining this list requires scanning all of the store item???s
>> contents, which takes time proportional to the number/size of files it
>> contains, so the database can hardly be avoided.
>
> Yes, I understand. But would it be possible to regenerate the database
> from an existing /gnu/store?

In theory, yes.

> You can see I like to mess around with files ;). With closures a
> rebuild should not be necessary, but as a wary system administrator I
> know I will need it at some point.

What do you mean by “rebuild should not be necessary”?  If you remove
files from the store manually?

Thanks,
Ludo’.