guix-devel

Re: Self-contained Guix tarball

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Self-contained Guix tarball
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:16:58 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> True if you ignore my message about the state being in two places and
> the database can go out of sync/be corrupt.
>
> Rebuilding the database from a store layout would take many of my
> concerns away. What do we have against it?

It’s not about being for or against.  :-)

The important state is in the database.  So if something is to be
rebuilt, it’s the store, not the database.

The database cannot be “guessed” from the set of files found under
/gnu/store because not all of them are valid.

This is the current design, and it’s consistent.  One could come up with
a different design, like Taylan suggested, but we have yet to see what
could be better than this.

Ludo’.