guix-devel

Re: updating list of substitutes

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: updating list of substitutes
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:24:21 +0200

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 01:46:35PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> 5. We reload the list of substitutes after a fixed time
> Let me rephrase. Can we have a more lazy approach towards fetching
> substitutes? Rather than a fixed TTL we could fetch the latest list on
> the first failed substitute.

A while ago, the list of substitutes was downloaded even when removing
packages from a profile, which Ludovic fixed if I remember correctly.

But even when installing, one may not need to download anything if the
package is already in the store. So I think the following would be good:
  Determine the list of packages to be installed in a profile with "guix
  package" or to be built with "guix build". If they are all in the store,
  fine, otherwise, check the age of the list of substitutes and if it is
  to old, download it again.

Andreas