guix-devel

Re: updating list of substitutes

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: updating list of substitutes
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:08:49 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

>> But even when installing, one may not need to download anything if the
>> package is already in the store. So I think the following would be good:
>>   Determine the list of packages to be installed in a profile with "guix
>>   package" or to be built with "guix build". If they are all in the store,
>>   fine, otherwise, check the age of the list of substitutes and if it is
>>   to old, download it again.
>
> I have the impression this is what is happening now. Why have a TTL in
> the first place?

I think what Andreas describes differs from current behavior in that it
doesn't download the new substitute list (even if the TTL has expired)
if there's nothing to download.

When there is something to download, it's probably preferable to still
check the TTL, so one doesn't constantly re-download the substitute list
when some substitute simply doesn't exist on Hydra.

Taylan