guix-devel

Re: Add guile-minikanren

From: Eric Bavier
Subject: Re: Add guile-minikanren
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:48:50 -0500

On 2015-04-23 13:57, address@hidden wrote:
+    (source (origin
+              (method git-fetch)
+              (uri (git-reference
+                    (url "https://github.com/ijp/minikanren.git";)
+ (commit "10d507785eab30b0f8b47bf8bb37d880731fc031")))

Is there no tarball? If possiblem we would prefer this.

No tarball.  I would recommend that the first 7 characters of the
commit SHA be used as the package version, and this string here could
just be replaced with 'version'.

Maybe make the version (string-append "0-" commit) so we can eventually
increment that zero to make upgrades work, as Andreas notes?
(I think upstream minikanren is frozen anyway.)

Why not use YYYYMMDD.<7-char-sha> so that the version is less arbitrary? It would still sort for upgrades.

Sounds like another set of conventions to document in the manual ;)

--
`~Eric